Friday, June 27, 2014

Patchwork Puzzle (Layout)

Okay before we get too much further into this thing, I want to recommend that you visit the original quilt over here and print off the layout grid.  I found this to be very helpful as I was constructing my block in chunks.  I used highlighters to color in each section as I finished it.  I was also able to draw in additional blocks (those I duplicated or extra blocks I added) so that I had a feel at all times as to how much more I needed to do.  One of the first things you will notice in looking at this layout is all of the open space.  When I first started working on this quilt that was one of the things that caused me the most anxiety because I wasn't sure how to fill in all of the space around the blocks.  In the end I decided to use 2 1/2 inch and 4 1/2 inch blocks.  I also made duplicates of some blocks to take up extra space.  Another great thing about this quilt is that it really allows you the opportunity to make it your own.  You can be as creative as you want when it comes to the making of this quilt.

This is where I am going to break away from the original instructions a bit as well.  Since her quilt along was already finished when I started my quilt and I had access to all of the blocks I didn't go in the same order.  I wanted to be able to put large chunks of this quilt together as I went-patience is not something I am very good at.  Because of this I worked my way across the top of the quilt first.

The first section I put together

Here you can see the first section I assembled for the quilt.  Since I was working this way-I skipped around and made a bunch of different blocks.  I also didn't include all of the original blocks.  I had trouble with one or two and couldn't get them to turn out right-instead of getting frustrated I just took them out of my quilt.  Remember you have control and can be as creative as you want with this one.

This is the width of the entire quilt.

I believe there are a total of 6 nine patches in the original instructions there are 18 in my quilt.  I found those blocks to be super easy filler and I liked the way that it allowed me to use blocks to fill more space instead of just using the squares I talked about earlier.  So go ahead start working on some nine patches and I'll be back soon with more instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.