Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome 2014

I love seeing all of the blog post popping up right now with reflections on 2013 and new goals for 2014.  I remember this time last year saying I wasn't going to set goals I was just determined that 2013 would be better than 2012.  In many ways it was a much better year but I still have a long way to go.  Each step along the way I am learning more about myself, what is important, and what I really want to do next.


Looking back at 2013, I didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped.  In many ways I feel like my sewing mojo was missing more often than it was present.  I did notice that there seemed to be far fewer quilt alongs and swaps than years past or maybe it was just because I was feeling overwhelmed and missed out on many of them.  In a lot of ways I think maybe I can be a lazy quilter.  I want to quilt and make pretty things but I also want to sleep in on Saturday mornings and veg out in front of the TV when I get home from work.  In the end I guess it really is just about priorities.  If I want to make more then I have to just make that a higher priority.

Looking forward to 2014, I'm feeling more confident in my ability to commit to things and if I put it out there then I am a lot more likely to follow through.  I can't say that I will do all of these things but as I look at what I want to accomplish next these seem like some pretty good guidelines.

Complete a 30 day Paleo/Gluten Free Challenge
     This is completely nonquilty but I have found myself very frustrated lately with the number of days I spend with intense migraines.  I could also stand to thin out (as they like to call it in Paleo forums) so I have decided to embrace this.  My hesitation is in true "paleo" there is no dairy and I am in LOVE with cheese.  I'm thinking of doing a somewhat modified version and just paying attention to the types of dairy that we consume.

Write a tutorial
     I have shared two very short tutorials here on my blog.  Patchwork Pinwheel and Setting Seams but I think I have even more to share.  I hesitate a lot of times with this because rarely am I making something completely new and typically there is someone out there who can put it so much better than I can but I am determined to try this year.

Finish more Quilts
     I have 2 quilts at the long arm right now and 3 more in my sewing room just waiting for backs.  So this should be a fairly easy task-especially when you consider that I only finished 4 quilts in 2013.  My dad made this amazing quilt rack for me for Christmas and it will hold 11 quilts (at minimum) so I really want to add some more quilts to it.


Try More New Things & Remember it's Only Fabric
     I can talk myself out of just about anything.  I get so scared that I am going to make a mistake or that I won't like something in the end.  I need to take more chances!  Embrace things and remember it's only fabric after all.  Instead of waiting for the perfect project I should just make some of the ones already on my list.  If it's a pattern I like and fabric I love it will all work out in the end so no need to keep putting it off waiting for everything to be perfect perfect.

What about you?  What are your goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.