Saturday, March 9, 2013

Color Therapy

I don't usually get overly personal here-I like to keep it light and stick to the quilting.  I tend to think that as people part of our job is to help the people in our lives become better people because of that sometimes we hurt the ones we love and sometimes they hurt us.  Hopefully we come out the other side better for it.  I've been going through what feels a little bit like a bad breakup with a good friend but through it I am trying to find the positive and come out better on the other side. 


I don't know where I want to go in my quilting journey.  It's undefined for me and I'm okay with that.  So many times I've been asked well what do you want.  What is your goal?  Do we have to always have a goal?  I didn't get to go to Quiltcon but I did get to watch some of the lectures on Craftsy.  If you haven't checked them out yet be sure you do-there is some great information in there.  Jacquie who's blog I have read for a long time now said "Make what you love and love what you make."  That seems like such a simple statement but if you take a minute and really think about it it's not that simple.  We spend so much of our time and energy trying to please others.  I do typically like the quilts I make but I don't LOVE all of them. 

I decided to throw it all out there for once.  I made nothing in my sewing room off limits and I just went for it.  I started with this photo from my pintrest board because I thought it would make an amazing quilt.  It has awesome lines and colors and I thought I could do that in fabric and really love something.
In the process I was healing.  I was erasing the doubts I had allowed into my head that I wasn't good enough to be a part of this community.  That I wasn't creative enough to have any impact.  I'm still not sure what role I want to play.  I have no big plans to become a fabric designer, write or book, or even release my own patterns.  But I do plan to continue to make friends here, share what I make, and at the end of the day make what I love and love what I make.
All that through starting a new quilt.  I'm sure I will continue to learn and that as I figure out more about myself things will change along the way.  Just like this color therapy quilt.  At block one I was in love.  Thought it was going to be amazing.  Here I am three blocks in and I hate it.  Funny how that works out sometimes.  But the important thing for me in this one is that I tried something new.  I went out of my normal box.  I can't say at this moment if Color Therapy will ever evolve into a finished quilt but I'm thankful that I took a chance.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all go through bad spots whether due to life as it is or an unusual event we get stagnant. I have been in one, but I think as the weather improves here I will wake up one day and the lightbulb will go on.
    Hopefully your starting a new outlook and a new quilt will energize you to great heights and you can find your spot in your quest. Good Luck! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let people get to you. I know that's much more difficult done than said, but it's true. There are always those that, in order to feel better themselves, choose to be less than generous with their love, words, feelings, friendship, etc. This happens to be more true when those people belong to a group. Groups make it easier for negative (and yes, sometimes mean) behavior - the individual isn't required to take responsibility for their action(s). I have, sadly, even found to that true of quilting organizations. Be true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.