Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Farmer's Wife

I caved!  I was trying to avoid new projects because I just have so darn many that I need to finish up.  But I may or may not have sent my mom an email while she was in Texas telling her about this quilt along and that I thought we should make this quilt.  I was surprised when I saw her Friday night and she brought me this book.  So Saturday when I got tired of hand sewing down binding (I can't wait to show you guys a finished quilt in a few days) I was chatting through email with my good friend Leanne and we started talking about this quilt along.  I had planned to make these blocks scrappy because I'm not allowed to buy any fabric right now.  I couldn't decided what to do.  L had a great idea of making the quilt out of solids but I looked around and well I just don't have many solids.  Truthfully I don't have much of a stash at all I tend to only buy what I need for a specific project unless it's something I just love and happen to find on sale.  Out of all of the lovely photos in the flickr group I kept coming back to one person's in particular.  Of course being the fabric designer of the line and having access to fabric that doesn't come out until October helps.  I pondered what I wanted to do while I sewed up bee blocks for Do.Good Stitches.  This is the only bee I am currently participating in and since it only requires sending finished blocks and not the back and forth of fabric I think it will be a good one.  Besides the quilts are all donated to charity and that makes it even more gratifying.  If your not already a member be sure to check it out.

Finally I realized what it was about Camille's blocks that I liked so much.  All of the fabrics blend really well together and they are in softer tones which means the fabric isn't fighting with the block to see who is in control.  I had a jelly roll and layer cake of Fresh Cottons that I had originally purchased to use for a hexagon quilt along over at the Old Red Barn Quilts group.  Since I had only gotten a few pieces in and figured I would probably not get back to it anytime soon and I have my little hexagons going I thought it would be okay to cut that project from the list and use the fabric for the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along.  And I must say I am pretty happy with the results.  While these fabrics are not as bright as the ones I usually use I think their softness is the perfect blend of modern/traditional fabric.  I think that is exactly what I needed to make this very traditional quilt in a more me style.  I'm excited to keep going but I have to admit that these blocks are very addictive.  I was able to catch up to the group in just one evening of sewing.  Here is a more detailed look at my first 6 blocks.

Block # 1 Attic Windows
Block # 2 Autumn Tints
Block # 4 Basket Weave
Block # 6 Big Dipper
Block # 9 Box
Block # 11 Broken Dishes
I found that the blocks are relatively easy to piece.  I have used a combination of both the templates and using my math skills.  For example in block number 6 the Big Dipper I used the templates from the CD in the back of the book.  But on block 11 Broken Dishes I used my regular method of constructing half square triangles instead of the templates.  I knew that using the templates would mean sewing all of those little triangles together on the bias and I tend to tug and pull on my fabric a little bit especially when using small pieces so I felt this was a safer way to go.  I'm happy with the way it looks and I don't feel that my points are off in the block so I think overall it was a success.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You caver, you! I have been seeing these blocks EVERYWHERE, but our vacation, and now this crazy kid I live with, are keeping me from joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both sets of blocks, both the ones I'll be seeing in person and the FWQ ones. I think the smaller prints and softer shades work really well with this style of block.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.